If you have a container garden or you enjoy potted plants inside your home, you're probably used to using the typical pots you'd find in any home and garden store. But if you want to get truly creative and think outside the box, there are several ideas you can try using every day objects to create some pretty unique planters of your own. Here are a few ideas that can get you on your way towards creating some pretty amazing ways to pot your favorite plants.
Light Switch Planters
You can take several large plastic light switch plate covers and put them together in a box-shape to make a modern looking planter. Paint the switches in bold colors to give them a pop of color. Using mesh like you'd find to store potatoes or oranges, add this to the interior of your newly made light switch cube to hold the dirt inside securely. Fasten the switch plates together using a high quality glue and allow the edges to thoroughly dry before you plant. If you like, you can also add a cover to the top and let the plants grow out of the holes of the plate cover.
Other Every Day Objects
Objects you'd normally find lying around the house or might even want to throw away can be turned into some pretty awesome planters. Here are some examples of items you can convert to make a cool flower pot:
- Paint cans: Remove the label from old paint cans and thoroughly clean the inside. Poke holes in the bottom and then plant your plants. If you want, you can even add some decor to the outside of the can for added interest.
- Colanders: Those strainers used for spaghetti make great planters. Take a metal colander and paint it in bright colors. These items make a great planter option since they already have built in drain holes!
- Shells: Collect some large shells like snail or hermit crab shells. These beautiful planter options are perfect for planting smaller things like succulents or herbs and look really beautiful almost anywhere in your home.
- Muffin Tins: Use a large muffin tin to plant several small plants together in little rows. This is a cute way to plant and also makes for an easy way to start out your seedlings by keeping them together in groups.
- Books: For a truly unique planter idea, take some old books and cut a hole in the middle of them, allowing enough room for a small- to medium-sized plant. This is a cute way to display your plants and looks really unusual. Just be sure the book is thick enough to provide plenty of depth for your plant's roots to grow.